- Read more: The Report of the Citizens’ Assembly on Drugs Use
The Citizens’ Assembly on Drugs Use has published its final report that includes 36 recommendations for a new Irish model to reduce the harm caused by illicit drugs use.
- Read more: European Child Guarantee: Analysing the extent to which children in Ireland have access to key services
This paper analyses the extent to which children living in low-income households in Ireland have effective (or effective and free) access to six key services, all of which are primarily or solely regulated at the national level. Our analysis shows that there are several obstacles that impede effective access to the key services, including financial…
- Read more: Census 2022 Profile 8 – The Irish Language and Education
The Central Statistics Office has released: “Census 2022 Profile 8 – The Irish Language and Education”. This is the last in a series of thematic profiles on specific areas of Census 2022. This publication focuses on the number of Irish speakers aged three years and over in the State, the population in the Gaeltacht areas,…
- Read more: Report: Towards a New Literacy, Numeracy and Digital Literacy Strategy
The report “Towards a New Literacy, Numeracy and Digital Literacy Strategy: A Review of the Literature”, was commissioned by the Department of Education, and undertaken by the Institute of Education, Dublin City University (DCU). It is available to read here.
- Read more: Inequalities in the Challenges Affecting Children and their Families during COVID-19 with School Closures and Reopenings: A Qualitative Study
This paper seeks to illuminate the policy implications of Covid-19 school closures and reopenings in Ireland through the voices and experiences of households, which reveals inequalities in terms of access to education and within home settings during school closures.[i] Using these insights, this paper identifies strategies and policy recommendations to mitigate inequalities throughout and beyond…
- Read more: Gender, Education and Skills Report 2023 – OECD
The OECD published its 2023 Gender, Education and Skills Report on the persistence of gender gaps in education and skills. It is available to read here.
- Read more: Latest Education Indicators for Ireland
The Department of Education and the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research Innovation and Science released a publication of the latest Education Indicators for Ireland (2022). It is available here.
- Read more: Postdocs: Who cares about their careers?
Neoliberalism and new public management began to impact on the Irish higher educational system in the late 1990s and became embedded at different times and to varying degrees in particular Irish universities (Lynch et al, 2012; Lynch, 2015; Mercille and Murphy, 2017). With it came a focus on research, and particularly on research outputs generated…
- Read more: A child with maths anxiety may become a parent or a teacher with maths anxiety
Maths is the basis for the most advanced discoveries in science such as satellites and robotic surgeries. Yet, one rarely thinks that these triumphs were grounded during maths classes in primary and secondary schools. These schooling years will prepare individuals for the workforce, and some of them to apply for a university degree. Recent international…